Advantages of the Malta Flag for Vessels
Ship-owners registering their vessels under the Malta flag may benefit from the following advantages:
- Efficient procedures for the registration of vessels and mortgages over such vessels.
- Automatic exemption from income tax on income derived from shipping activities of Maltese vessels of 1000 net tons and over.
- Automatic exemption from donation and succession duty on the capital represented for Maltese vessels of 1000 net tons and over.
- Automatic exemption from duty on documents and transfers (stamp duties) payable on the sale or transfer of a Maltese vessel of 1000 net tons and over, and on the allotment or transfer of any share or stock in any company owning such vessels.
- Exemptions from income tax, donation and succession duty, and duty on documents and transfers (stamp duties) may be granted to Maltese vessels under 1000 net tons, after applications are filed and according to Government policy.
- Registration of vessels not strictly considered as ship, such as oilrigs, platforms and barges, is permitted.
- Registration of hulls/ vessels under construction and mortgages over such vessel is permitted.
- No restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew serving on Maltese vessels.
- No restrictions on the nationality of shareholders and directors of Maltese shipping companies.
- Vessel may be registered in the name of any European company, trust, foundation or individual person.
- Uncomplicated and efficient procedure for registration and deletion of Maltese vessels, as well as for the registration and discharge of mortgages.
- Efficient procedures for the sale or transfer of shares or stock in Maltese shipping companies.
- Competitive incorporation costs and registration fees.
- Easy access to decision-makers within the competent authorities, backed by a qualified and efficient team of technical officers available for urgent matters on a 24- hour basis.
- No trading restrictions imposed on Maltese registered vessels.
- A number of double taxation and bilateral maritime agreements with other maritime nations.
Read more about:
For further information about how CSB Advocates can help you with your shipping requirements kindly contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org